Century The Original Wavemaster Freestanding Training Bag
Century The Original Wavemaster Freestanding Training Bag Overview
There are actually four different types of the Century Wavemaster training bag. For all intents and purposes of this review, we will stick with the Original Wavemaster to keep things streamlined. The Original Wavemaster is the best selling standing bag from Century, and has been on the market for over 10 years. Here is a quick breakdown of the differences between each Wavemaster product.
||Wavemaster Original||Wavemaster Cardio||Wavemaster Powerline||Wavemaster XXL|
|Height||47″ to 68″||53″ to 65″||47″ to 68″||69″|
|Weight||270 lbs||170 lbs||270 lbs||270 lbs|
|Features||Classic Wavemaster||For Light Aerobics and Cardio||Wider Striking Area||Wider, Taller, and Larger|
|Colors||Red, Blue, Black||Red, Blue, Black w/ Pink Logo||Red, Blue, Black||Red, Blue, Black|
|Pricing||Approx. $130 USD||Approx. $130 USD||Approx. $200 USD||Approx. $330 USD|
There are a few reasons why the Wavemaster has been a bestseller for years, and if you’re deciding between a hanging heavy bag – here is why:
- Space: The Wavemaster is extremely mobile, doesn’t need hanging, and can be moved around easily around the house or apartment. If you don’t want to drill holes into your ceiling or roof, this bag is the way to go.
- Pricing: Starting at around $130 or lower, the Wavemaster is good if you are on a budget. Even compared to other standing heavy bags, the Wavemaster still comes at a lower price providing the same amount of value.
- Flexibility: The Wavemaster has seven adjustable heights from 47″ to 68″. Children from the ages of 5-10 can also use the Wavemaster, although there is also another product line specifically designed for kids. For adults over 6’1, the XXL is a better option.
- Quality Workout: For the lower pricing point, you can still have a reliable workout compared to the standard hanging heavy bags.
- Easy Installation: Take it out of the box, fill it with water or sand and you are ready to go.
Century Original Wavemaster in Action
The Wavemaster is a great entry-level product if you are looking for an alternative to hanging heavy bags. However depending on your size and strength, you may want to consider the larger version Wavemaster XXL, where the striking area is almost twice as high and wide. Here are the drawbacks we found on the original Wavemaster:
- It Moves Around: For experienced martial artists, the Wavemaster can easily move around from taking hits, and can be knocked over at higher settings. A jab will rock the bag, and a solid punch will move it slightly. If you have room to move around the bag, you can also practice your footwork. Duct tape on striking area can be used to reduce movement.
- Noise: If filled with water, it WILL splash around when you strike it. When it wobbles, it also generates sound from the floor. Be wary if you are keeping this inside an apartment as your neighbors will definitely hear it. The best option is to keep it in the yard, or put some padding underneath to reduce the noise.
The Wavemaster has a good firmness upon striking, but it’s also not so hard that it will break your hand either. The padding is about 4″ thick, and underneath is a plastic ring where you can switch the height. It doesn’t give the same resistance as a hanging heavy bag, but it is easier on your joints. Putting a foam mat below the base will reduce noise and movement when its hit. The bag is particularly good at absorbing the force of non-linear strikes like roundhouse kicks. I would avoid using strikes that go upward (uppercut and front kicks), as it can knock the bag out and break
The Original Wavemaster is a classic but it is not designed for everyone. Depending on your living condition and neighbors, you’ll need to take into consideration the noise it makes before a purchase. But if you have a garage or backyard, it’s a perfect addition to have for home workouts. Bottom line – if you are not trying to develop a knock-out punch, train for a MMA fight, and are not above 6″, this is a good choice. Otherwise for those larger and experienced individuals, go with the Wavemaster XXL.
Pricing and Shipping
Century Original Wavemaster: Click here for best price on Amazon.com
Shipping: United States 48 contiguous states only. We regret it cannot be shipped to APO/FPO, Hawaii, Alaska, or Puerto Rico.
General Tips after Purchase
- If you’re filling the base with sand, use DRY sand! white dried-playsand.
- A “waterbed fill & drain kit” is an excellent purchase if you need to move it around often.
- The bottom will probably damage wooden floors so be careful.
- If you are just switching from heavy bags, it will take some time to get used to.
- If you are used to a hanging bag this thing takes a bit of getting used to, but it is most definitely better than nothing if you do not have the option of hanging a bag.
- Wear gloves when hitting the Wavemaster as the covering can be rough and hurt your hands.